Tips & Hints > Cooking > Meats

Meats

In order to purchase meats intelligently so that we will receive the best value for money expended, it is necessary to know the nature of the cuts, and especially the proportionate amounts of lean meat, fat and bone that they contain; also the approximate food values of the meat obtained from various parts of the carcass.

One factor in helping to keep up the high prices of food is that the average woman, when she goes to market, has in mind fancy price and choice cuts for roast, steaks and chops. The choice cuts represent about 26 per cent. of the whole carcass, leaving about 74 per cent. to be disposed of. Now, if this becomes difficult, the fancy cuts must bear the additional cost and so become proportionately high in price.

When boiling or stewing meat, keep this in mind: Meat to be palatable and juicy must contain nutriment; it must be plunged into boiling water to seal the surface, by coagulating the albumen in the meat; and then it should be cooked just below the boiling point until tender, allowing one-half hour for the meat to heat and start cooking and then twenty-five minutes to the pound. Add salt just before removing from the fire.

Keep this fact in mind, that salt will, if added when the meat is just starting to cook, extract the juice.

For pot roast and braises, etc., it is necessary to quickly sear over the surface of the meat for the same reason that the meat was plunged into boiling water and then cook slowly, allowing the same proportion of time as for boiling or stewing.

The real object in cooking meat is to retain the juices and make it sufficiently to eat and increase its flavor.

Print

Print recipe/article only

Source

Mrs. Wilson's Cook Book (1920).


comments powered by Disqus