- 1/2 pint of green peas
- 1/2 pint of cauliflower
- 1 pint of turnip, carrot, celery and string beans (all the four vegetables being included in the pint)
- 1/2 cupful of tomato
- 1/2 pint of asparagus heads
- 2 quarts of soup stock (any kind will do)
- 3 table-spoonfuls of butter
- 3 table-spoonfuls of flour
Cook all the vegetables, except the peas and tomato, in water to cover one hour.
Cook butter and dry flour together until smooth, but not brown; stir into the stock, which has been heated to the boiling point.
Now add the tomato and simmer gently fifteen minutes; then strain.
Add the peas and cooked vegetables to the strained soup, and simmer again for thirty minutes.
Serve small slices of toasted bread in a separate dish.
Miss Parloa's New Cook Book.
comments powered by