Mock Bisque Soup
- 1 quart can of tomato
- 3 pints of milk
- 1 large table-spoonful of flour
- 1 scant teaspoonful of soda
- butter the size of an egg
- pepper and salt to taste
- Put the tomato on to stew, and the milk in a double kettle to boil, reserving however, half a cupful to mix with flour.
- Mix the flour smoothly with this cold milk, stir into the boiling milk, and cook ten minutes.
- To the tomato add the soda; stir well, and rub through a strainer that is fine enough to keep back the seeds.
- Add butter, salt and pepper to the milk, and then the tomato.
- Serve immediately.
- If half the rule is made, stir the tomato well in the can before dividing, as the liquid portion is the more acid.
Miss Parloa's New Cook Book.
comments powered by