(An Italian sauce used with venison, sweetbreads, calf's-head, and mutton)
- 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of brown sugar
- 1/4 bar of grated chocolate
- 1 tablespoonful of shredded candied orange
- 1 tablespoonful of shredded candied lemon-peel
- 10 blanched almonds shredded
- 1/2 cupful of currants
- 1 cupful of vinegar
Mix together the brown sugar, chocolate, candied orange and lemon-peel, almonds, currants, and vinegar. Let them soak for two hours. Then pour it over the cooked meat, and simmer for ten minutes.
This receipt was obtained in Florence, where it is a well-known and favorite sauce.
The Century Cook Book (1901).
comments powered by